Monday, September 21, 2009

Shaa Allah

My learning of Arabic so far is pretty minimal (granted we arrived only 3 weeks ago).

So far, I can say shukran (thank you), funduq Rotana (Rotana hotel), and Askoon fee Al Ain (I live in Al Ain). H will probably pick it up much more quickly...he already says "Askoon a Al Ain."

Here's another thing I've learned that I think is hilarious:

In Arabic culture, it is customary to respond "In'shaa Allah" ("If God wills it.") when you're talking about something in the future/making plans.

Example:

-You: "Let's get together for coffee tomorrow at 2 o'clock."
-Arabic friend: "In'shaa Allah."

Now, let's say your Arabic friend shows up late at 3 o'clock. His response?

-"Shaa Allah." ("God willed it.")

HA! I love it and just may have to start using it.

Didn't get to the grocery shopping? Shaa Allah.
Didn't get a new post up on the blog? Shaa Allah.
Didn't get around to doing the laundry? Shaa Allah.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to remember Shaa Allah for all the things I did not get around too.

    ReplyDelete